The Maine Children’s Alliance will honor distinguished Mainers receiving awards for their outstanding commitment to the well-being of children at the annual Champions for Children event on October 22nd. Members of the public are invited to attend this celebration, held at The Green Ladle in Lewiston, Maine, at 5:30 pm.
Esther Attean of Maine Wabanaki-REACH will provide the evening’s keynote address and her remarks will focus on “History, Trauma, Healing and Resiliency in Wabanaki Communities.”
Live music will be provided by students from Lewiston High School and the Deansmen, an all-male a cappella group from Bates College.
The Champions for Children “Giraffe Awards” are presented to individuals and organizations who are “sticking their necks out for children.” The 2014 honorees work tirelessly against many challenges to support and protect Maine’s children.
- The Director’s Award — to Representative Seth Berry, a state legislator serving District 67 for eight years and outgoing Majority Leader in the Maine House of Representatives.
- Individual Giraffe Award — to Barb Ames, Youth Programs Coordinator at the Bucksport Recreation Department. Barb is a community leader who is being recognized for her unconditional and inspirational commitment to children and youth in the Bucksport area.
- Young Leader Award — to Rilwan Osman, Executive Director of the Somali Bantu Youth Association of Maine (SBYAM). Rilwan leads an organization that educates, supports and empowers immigrant and refugee youth and their families in the Lewiston/Auburn area.
- Two Organization Awards –– to LearningWorks, an organization that provides learning opportunities in Maine for at-risk youth, the immigrant community, and low-income families. And, Maine Youth Court (MYC), available from Portland to Bath, a program that allows young people who have violated the law to be held accountable by their peers using a restorative justice framework.
- Small Business Award — to Moose Alley Bowling Lanes, located in Rangeley, for their generosity and ongoing support of the Big Brother Big Sisters mentoring program.
- Corporate Award – to Northeast Delta Dental, a values-driven company that successfully balances profitability and community involvement, for supporting the Maine Children’s Alliance for twenty years.
The Maine Children’s Alliance (MCA) is a non-partisan, non-profit organization committed to improving the lives of Maine’s children, youth and families by providing comprehensive data, advocating for sound public policy and collaborating with partners. For more information about the Giraffe Awards or to make a reservation to attend the Champions for Children event, call (207) 623-1868, ext. 201 or contact firstname.lastname@example.org or visit http://www.mekids.org/events.php .