Last week, the Maine Children’s Alliance and other education groups testified in support of LD 1530 – An Act to Establish a Process for the Implementation of Universal Voluntary Prekindergarten Education. The Maine Children’s Alliance supports high quality universal prekindergarten that is:
- Well-integrated with quality Head Start and child care providers in the community,
- Well-staffed with appropriately credentialed early childhood professionals
- Designed to especially serve low income families whose children disproportionately need these enriching opportunities
- Encouraging parent engagement and providing family support;
- Easily accessible even for families who cannot afford a car, and is
- Wrapped with a full day of quality care so that working parents know their children are safe and well throughout the day while they work.
In addition, MCA believes that creating a universal pre-K system for four year olds must not be done in isolation from the rest of the state’s early childhood system.
To access MCA’s full testimony, click here.