Step Up for Kids is an annual event sponsored by Every Child Matters -ECM, a non-partisan, non-profit working to make children a political priority. ECM is a national organization headquartered in Washington, DC, and has state offices in several states including Maine. ECM works to educate voters and candidates around the importance of prioritizing children’s issues including access to quality health care, education, child care, before and after school care, abuse and neglect prevention, and addressing the risk factors associated with poverty.
Here in Maine a number of events are being held to highlight the importance of children’s issues during this election season.
- The Maine Center for Economic Policy State of the State show this month is focused on children’s issues. It can be viewed on cable stations on Channel 9 statewide and will run through Oct 19. Standard air times are: Tuesdays at 7:00 p.m., Thursdays at 6:00 p.m., and Fridays at 10:00 a.m. You can listen to a podcast of the entire show from MECEP’s website: MECEP State of the State – Step Up for Kids Show
- MPBN radio show Maine Calling Show will be focused on home visiting on Tuesday, October 9th at 1:00 pm. You can access the show on the internet here: Maine Calling – Home Visiting Programs
- Remember to ask your candidates specific questions about children’s issues that are important to you. You can access your candidates’ names, addresses and phone numbers here: List of All Maine Candidates (both National and State) Here are a few sample questions to ask your candidates:
- Will you support increasing the access to quality early childhood programs for all children?
- Will you ensure all children have equal access to opportunities in public education reform efforts?
- Will you work to ensure ensure that Maine’s implementation of the ACA provides affordable quality health care to all Maine families?